Monday, June 12, 2006

Smile Singapore, Smile !

I twitched my brows.......amused by the new headlines today.......our Prime Minister launched a campaign to get all 4 million singaporeans to.....SMILE.....

I'm just speechless....I really don't know whether to laugh or to cry. Well, anyway, this is not a first time such 'service' campaign is launched.

A year back, when the International Olympic Council was here to determine the host for Olympic 2012, Singapore Tourism Board has also launched a similar campaign 'teaching' the service people on how to talk, how to dress, etc, etc. At that time, I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I managed to get hold of a copy of the pamphlets that was distributed to almost all retail workers in Orchard, Suntec area. It was like teaching a 15 year old gal on a grooming course or 'training' her for a pegeant. My goodness....I just find the whole campaign so silly. It should be up to the retail store's management to decide how their staffs should dress & how to talk. I believe STB should have much better things to do.... And SINGAPOREANS are not IDIOTS.

A year later, today, our PM launched another (I find it equally amusing) campaign, SMILE for the forthcoming International World Bank conference this september. Do we have to stand in front of the mirror everyday to practise smiling?

But honestly, Singaporeans doesn't like to smile. Probably such campaign should begins with civil servants. I always have to urge to ask the service person at the counter - "Have you forgotten to bring your smile to work today?"

No matter you are in public sectors or government sectors, as long as you are in the role of serving another person or even animal, PLEASE SMILE. I urge all employers to take the lead, smile to your employees and your employees will smile to your customers.

:> :> :>

Courtesy Begins With Me, A Smile also Begins With Me.....& it brightens everyone, everyday :>

No comments: