Saturday, July 21, 2007

Crocs

I was at the Crocs section this afternoon over at Isetan Scotts with an intention to buy a pair of cleo sandals.

While I was browsing through the racks of cleos, I overheard the conversation between the sale staff of Crocs and the sale staff of another footwear brand. They are standing within a metre from me.

The conversation of the 2 young (male) adults went on like this. They are conversing in mandarin.

The sale staff of Crocs said to the other,

"Do you know how cheap is the manufacture price of these (pointing to the racks of crocs)?"

Coincidentally, I was looking at those cleos.

He continued, "you know that we all, can get a staff price and it is a 80% discount of the retail price."

At this moment, I felt stupid I actually have the intention to buy something that is so overpriced.

The 2 boys continued the conversation of a customer who came by to complain about some unsatisfactories. Then, I heard something that the sale staff of Crocs said that I think it shouldn't be said at all ! He said, " these (the crocs) are selling so expensive. What's more, they are all made in china."

At that very moment, I really felt like a fool and cut into their conversation immediately. I told the boy that it is absolutely incorrect to speak bad things about the brand (he is working for)right at his workplace with so many shoppers walking around, moreover, worse still, telling all the bad things right in front of a customer who has the intention to spend money which eventually part of it goes to his salary.

The 2 boys stopped the conversation immediately and the sale staff of Crocs was embarassed and walked away for about a minute.

I am also working in the service industry. As a member of this line, my responsibility is not just to give what the customer wants, the staff attitude, the passion for the job is also very important. Can you imagine if there is someone around there who heard the conversation and turn out to be the boss of Crocs ?

So, what happens after the episode ? The sale staff apologise profusely and I explained to him the consequences of what he has done earlier on. Eventually, the fool bought that pair of 'overpriced' cleo.....

To be honest, majority of the products are now made in China and therefore it is absolutely not a surprise...... Tell me, which branded stuffs are manufacture in China and cost only a fraction of the nett cost?

No comments: