Saturday, November 11, 2006

Company Outing

Remember I mentioned before that we are going fishing on Friday, 11 Nov?

Yeah ! We did !

Although it rained a little during lunchtime, but it did not dampen our spirits. We closed the office at 3pm. And all of us set off in 2 cars. Our long-time printer Bob was so sweet that he gave a number of us a lift.

We were given an orientation by the 'Crown Prince' (son of the owner) as this outing also served as a recee trip for one of out upcoming company's event. The fishing place was located in Pasir Ris Park. We were all caught by pleasant surprise that it was located so near to civilisation. It is just across the street from White Sand Shopping Mall or the Pasir Ris MRT and bus interchange. We did our fishing in the small ponds as the big ponds are for the regular and the pros. As most of us did not know how to fish, staying at the small pond does helps to get the fishes on hook so much easier. The small ponds are sub-divided into fish, prawn and crab ponds.

Fishing fish (what am I talking about??) is generally much more fun and also requires more technique. Do believe me? See below.


When the fish is caught onto the hook, your fishing rod will bend and shake as the fish is struggling to get off. So you must start to 'fight' with the fish to exhaust it. By then, everyone surrounding you will retreat as you will start to walk along the pond while the fish 'fights' with you. With some pull, release and pull, you will lift the fish off the water.

Our first catch of the day. A Pomfret !

Once the excitement is over, everyone get back to their position, hopping to be the next lucky one. Hee.....


On the other hand, fishing prawn was much easier and gentler. Look at my friend. See, she is so much more relaxed.

We can even sit down, waiting for the prawn to get hook.

I started to get impatient and grumbling the prawns are not biting the bait. There's no action and suddenly, the float on my rod dipped ! I was so excited and was screaming and shaking the rod at the same time. Expert help came and I caught the first prawn of the day, the largest too. Look at the loooooooong blue legs of the prawn !

See a close up.


Not long after that, it started to drizzle, and it escalated to downpour. BUT IT HAS NOT DAMPEN OUT MOOD ! NOT AT ALL ! See how serious these novice fisher are.

Even umbrellas came to the rescue !


But the rain just got heavier and we had no choice but retreat into the alfresco restaurant to take a rest. By then, it was almost to 6pm and our dear boss is hungry. So, we started dinner early with our prized catch, 4 pomfret and 4 prawns. Boss order more dishes to complement our catch.

Probably because of the rain, all of us are getting hungry and energy, my hand shaked while trying to show off our cooked fish.

Assam steamed Pomfret


Black Sauce Steam Pomfret


We had such a filling dinner and the rain stopped by the time we finished the meal. Dusk is approaching and so, we got back to the pond and continued fishing. This time, I decided to try my hands on the crab.

I was told that crabs usually hide along the side of the pond and so I walked up and down hoping to get one. We almost got one. But it got slipped when its pincers didn't catch the bait tiht enough. Anyway, I'm losing my patience by then and I gave up my rod, retreating to the back to watch the rest.

To my surprise, all my colleagues continued to fish quietly and patiently through dark fall. The biggest surprise from my boss who is famously known as a very impatient man. This is the first time I saw him so 'quai' and continuously express interst in one thing for such a long period of time. See, it's dark already and the rest are still so diligently waiting to get up a fish.


Finally, I had to put a stop to fishing as we had another agenda. We are going K-ing ! We had actually postponed the karaoke from 8pm to 9pm as everyone is still so engrossed in the fishing.

We proceeded to K-box at Marine Parade and scrooned the night away. We sang many songs and as usual, I can only picked up old songs. Jason refused to sing and we had to make him hold the microphone ad we accompanied him to sing a group song. He didn't know I was recording until he finished singing ! HA HA HA !

We laughed when my boss sang a chinese song of his era. We couldn't help, especially our Mabel, kept giggling. And he is also the only one who can sing hokkien song so I insisted he must sing my favourite Hokkien song so that I can record it down.

My boss is the best. He is a 10 o'clock man and all of us thought he will go home at 11pm latest. BUT, he stayed with us throughout the night until 2am ! That's a record !

It was one of the best company outing we had (since I joined the company). I have a truly good time and I believed we had bonded better.

2 comments:

The Trivial Traveller said...

Muahahahaha.....so farnie!!!! Your boss knows you posted this up or not??? I'll go tease him on Wednesday!!!

SnowyGal said...

a ha ha !!!!!!!!!!! He dun know... He dun know I have a personal blog. hee hee