Sunday, October 22, 2006

Post World War II 'HDB' Flats

Before trooping down to Sim Lim Square to find that DVD player, we had late lunch nearby to Sim Lim at Short Street. It is near to why the famous Rocher Beancurd stall is.

As I walked pass a row of building restoration and construction, these post war 'HDB' flats (I think) caught my eyes! Apparently, someone (HDB ? private developer?) fenced up these 2 blocks of old flats. They give them a good paint and interior renovation, walked is paved and trees are planted. It give me a feeling of living within a small community in a little town somewhere in an 'ang moh' country.


I really like this concept very much. With the fence and a steel gate erected, it transformed these 2 blocks of flats into something so private.

This is not the first time I've seen these types of flats. There are still a plenty near my current neighbourhood. You can still find a good 10-20 such blocks of flats in Tiong Bahru. And they fetch a high resale value. These are actually 3-room flats but their floor area are huge. That's why there is such high demand for them. These blocks are being preserved and they cannot be tear down for further development.

Unfortunately, those located at Tiong Bahru are not tastefully done like these I saw at Short Street. Otherwise, I think it will definitely add a ting of country feel in Tiong Bahru !

No comments: