Saturday, October 21, 2006

Spanish Spain Spanish

I'm contemplating to go Spain next year and was looking forward to go for the Spain Workshop for the industry held on Friday morning.

But it's a badly organised one as compared to other NTOs' workshop I attended before. This is strictly in my personal opinion.

The event kick off with a short speech by the country manager of Spain Tourism Board, followed by SIA unveiling their new cabin configuration on Boeing 777-300ER. Ai yo, this one have to wait till you got money dun know where to spend, then - give me lor ............ than spending on SIA 'new' cabin. But give me free ticket on this I never mind lah...hee hee.... It's damn nice but it's also going to be damn expensive. SIA ticket price is already very expensive and this is going to cost 10 - 20% more.

Anyway, dun bother about that. Let's talk about the workshop. It's supposed to be the 1 of the main highlight of the day.

After the speech, we are supposed to visit the tables of the representatives from different Spanish regions or tour / hotel operators. Everyone just flew to the tables to collect freebies and brochures. Me too ! Not knowing exactly where they are from or what's in store for us. I diligently went around the tables to collect informaton booklets on the different parts of Spain. I behaved myself as I knew I represented my company and should always be in my best behaviour. I took freebies only when I'm being offered. At alas ! While walking around, seeing those representatives were busy answering questions from a handful of agents, and giving out brochures and freebies to a hordes of agents at the same time, I noticed some of the trade acquantainces helped themsleves to those freebies hidden in cartons behind the representatives' table. Not one, but a few. I was embarassed ! My goodness ! We have been witnessing these ugly acts during travel fairs and we always gossiping among oursleevs how disgusted we feel whenever people do this kind of things. And right in out own backyard, the trade people are doing this themsleves.

I would have thought they could have given each representative a 15min time to introduce themselves to the audience will be better, as everyone would have a clearer picture. Or like what Fifi suggested, packed all freebies and brochures into a 'goody' bag and give out to everyone.

Fifi and me had the buffet lunch and returned back to (own) office and we are meeting later in the evening again for the 'gala' dinner.

I was assured by Fifi that Gala Dinner hosted by NTOs are not that gala afterall. Trusting her (taking into consideration that is more 'senoir' than me in this industry), I went ahead to RSVP for the dinner. I couldn't back out as much I wanted to, because FIFI insisted I'm the one who conned her to go for the dinner by asking her TWICE !!!! I must confessed. I did ask her twice, because she never give me a clear answer the first time I ask her mah ! Of course ask again lah, hor? Anyway, it doesn't matter as we always 'arrow' each other to ensure there is company mah. Otherwise, so boring if you are there alone. I always don't like to go this kind of function alone as I don't know many people, and I not the kind of person that I will go arounf introducing myself to strangers. I can just retreat standing in once corner smiling to people when walked pass me and casting glances on me. So, I always seek around for companion. So, Fifi and her boss were my companions.

We have given instructions to the organiser that we wanted to sit toghether but all the 'ok ok' ened with empty promises. We were almost separated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fi's boss suggested I feigned ignorance and 'ganster-ly' just sat with them which I did !!!!! HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!! Fifi and me was DAMMED bloody hungry and they refuses to serve dinner until 9pm. In fact, by Spanish culture, THIS IS EARLY !!!! In Spain, you will not get to start dinner until 11pm, will not finish until 1am and party starts at 2am and spanish only retreat home ater 5am. Eh? Thay don't have to work meh?????

They have flown in chefs to prepare the dinner and flown in spanish wine. I like the dinner especially the main course but the dessert was a letdown. Maybe I don't know how to appreciate such 'arty farty' dessert. Wine was good though. I felt a kind of incomplete in the cuisine as I have sweet tooth and I alway look forward to good desserts. Especially since they put us thru a dun-know-how-long-but-very-long flamenco performance. They did the tapping dancer so well but I just find that it was too long especially they sang the classical spanish song which I thought was the 'calling' from the 'Big Onions' you can always hear daily in the evening (if you are near one).

The dinner finished at 11pm and we were too happy it was finally over. I think I will 'arrow' the next better player next year ! Such good experience nust always share with my wonderful colleagues..... hee hee

No comments: